So, ever since my race on Sunday, I’ve been feeling pretty under the weather 😦 I think running out in the cold + the rain contributed to the cough/cold/tiredness that I’m currently experiencing. Boo!
However, when I’m sick, it seems that all I want is two things — fruit and carbs. I did manage to eat a few baby carrots today, but the highlight of my lunch was this wrap.
I started putting together this wrap a few weeks ago, and I fell in love. It’s a great alternative to lunch meat and is easily altered to add some healthy fats and proteins, which are key if I did a hard workout that morning. It’s also very easy to make the night before and enjoy for lunch the next day! (I’ve never done this, but it would also probably be a pretty good breakfast, too!) Although I have a lot of variations, here’s the basic breakdown…
Whole wheat apple wrap
- 1 whole wheat wrap
- 1/2 medium apple, sliced thin
- 1/4 c. reduced-fat cottage cheese OR fat-free greek yogurt
- 1 Tb. PB2 (or substitute for peanut butter, almond butter, or any other nut butter of choice!)
- 1 Tb. granola
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Lemon juice (to cover apples)
- Lay out wrap and spread a thin layer of PB2 (or other nut butter) on middle of wrap.
- Next, add cottage cheese/greek yogurt and granola.
- Line up sliced apples on top of cottage cheese/greek yogurt and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over top of the apples to keep them from browning.
How to level up this recipe:
- Depending on my mood (or if I need to add in some calories), I’ll add any of the following: flaxmeal, flax seeds, chia seeds, or sliced almonds.
- If you’re a pumpkin fan (I am!), you can add a layer of pureed pumpkin (or pumpkin butter) and sprinkle some pumpkin pie spice on top. Mmm!
- Play with the fruit! Although I’m pretty partial to apples, I think peaches or strawberries would work well. You could even try bananas.
How to level down this recipe:
- Not a cottage cheese fan? (It’s taken me a while to like it!) Try low-fat cream cheese or regular yogurt instead.
- Even though this is already pretty sweet, you could add a fun treat like chocolate chips!