Do you eat to run or run to eat? This week, I realized that I’m increasingly doing more of the later. I used to fuel up just so I could go out on my long runs…and now I go on long runs simply so I can enjoy all the food I make! Between the chocolate chip pumpkin banana bread I made this weekend to the Cheesy Italian Quick Bread I whipped up on Monday night (absolutely amazing!), I’ve had no shortage of yummy, healthy(ish) food this week. Unfortunately, I’ve been sick and unable to run…but I’m sick, so I can eat whatever I feel like, right? Right.🙂
One of the easy meals I made this week is one of my lunchtime favorites: Taco salad. It’s easy to make, easy to transport, and a great mid-day meal!
Simple, Spicy Taco Salad
- 1/5 lb. cooked taco meat, warm (I use 93% lean ground turkey or boneless, skinless chicken)
- 2 c. romaine lettuce
- 1/2 c. chopped cucumber
- 1/4 c. corn
- 1/4 c. chopped onion (or green scallions)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c. salsa or fresh pico de gallo
- Chop lettuce, cucumber, and onion and mix in a bowl.
- Add cooked corn and taco meat. (I season my meat with with my own taco seasoning which includes a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and ground cumin. I then freeze the meat for easy re-heating in smaller portions!)
- Top salad with a sprinkle of chili powder and salsa/pico de gallo. Add chopped cilantro if desired.
Note: If you are taking this for your lunch, put all of your vegetables (including corn) in a container, but separate your meat and salsa. When you’re ready to eat, heat up your meat, put that over top of the salad and top with salsa. This helps keep it fresh and delicious!
How to “level up” this recipe:
- Add sauteed green, yellow, red, and/or orange peppers to salad.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- Sometimes, I’ll add a chopped whole wheat tortilla or baked tortilla chips to add some volume to the salad.