I wanted to dish out this Italian-inspired vegetable pasta bowl yesterday, but just couldn’t wait to share my s’mores brownie cupcake recipe with you! Am I the only one that gets excited when recipe experiments turn out well??
This vegetable pasta bowl is healthy, simple, AND filling — a triple win!
Italian-inspired vegetable pasta bowl
- 1/2 c. whole wheat pasta, cooked
- 1 c. chopped broccoli
- 1/4 c. chopped red onion
- 1/2 c. red pepper
- 1/4 c. shelled edamame
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 Tb. olive oil
- 1 Tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in saucepan. Add all chopped vegetables and cook to desired tenderness. (As I mentioned before, I like mine a little burnt!)
- With about one minute left to cook, put 1/2 c. cooked whole wheat pasta in pan. Pour balsamic vinegar over pasta and veggie mixture. Saute for about one minute.
- Pour into a bowl and top with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
How to “level up” this recipe:
- Add more veggies! Depending on what I have on hand, I’ll add spinach, asparagus, green peppers, squash, and/or whatever else needs to be used up in the fridge! (Clearly, I’m not picky.)
- Instead of the olive oil, lightly coat your pan with olive oil spray to save some calories.
- Add cooked boneless skinless chicken breast strips for some more protein.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- Not into whole wheat pasta? You can easily substitute a regular or “SmartTaste”-type pasta.
- Use butter instead of olive oil to make it slightly creamier.
- Need some more flavor? This would be great with a half-cup of pasta sauce as well.
- As always, take out any vegetables that you’re not a fan of, or swap in some that you do like!