I have a love-hate relationship with avocados. I love the taste and the protein punch of an avocado, but I hate that they get brown easily and don’t last very long once cut. Since I’m the sole avocado eater at my house, I have a hard time finishing them before they go bad.
A few weeks ago, avocados were only $1 each at my local grocery store, so I stocked up, deciding I was going to try a little experiment. My experiment? Freezing avocado.
I searched the web and found mixed results — some people said you could do it, others said they didn’t taste right when thawed. I had to try it myself, so I threw some in the freezer at the end of September and pulled it out this week to try. The result? Delicious. (Maybe you noticed it as the star ingredient in my easy & healthy Mexican tortilla pizzas this week!)
Here’s what you’ll need to freeze avocados:
- Freezer bag/s
- Lime Juice
- Cut your avocados and remove the skin and the pit.
- Place in a bowl and mash until smooth. (I used my Kitchenaid mixer which makes it super easy and gives the avocados a great, fluffy texture!)
- Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice per avocado. (I used two avocados and added two tablespoons of lime juice.)
- Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Put in a freezer bag, tightly seal, and place in the freezer! When you’re ready to use it, pull it out and allow it thaw in the refrigerator (about four to six hours).
I wish I had frozen mine in two bags instead of one so since I had trouble using all of the avocado this week. Time for guacamole, I guess!
Happy Friday, friends!