As I’ve developed my love for cooking more and more, my reliance on anything boxed or pre-made has decreased less and less. However, this weekend I needed something quick and easy, so a boxed brownie mix came to the rescue! Of course, I played around to make it healthier and more fun than just a pan of brownies.
I love this recipe because it’s super easy, fairly healthy, and demands portion control! (Am I the only one that eats sliver after sliver of brownie until I’ve consumed way more than my fair share?!)
Healthy-ish boxed brownie cupcakes
- 1 box of brownie mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsl. canola oil
- 1/2 c. water
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with 12 liners. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all of your ingredients with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners; fill about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
How to “level up” this recipe:
- Add 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce OR plain, fat-free Greek yogurt instead of the oil, and reduce water to 1/4 c.
- Use two egg whites or one flaxseed egg instead of the regular egg.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- Just follow the directions on the box! Typically, a boxed brownie mix calls for 1/4 c. water, 2 large eggs, and 1/2 c. vegetable/canola oil.
- Fold in some chocolate chips or nuts to increase the flavor.