A few weeks ago, I discovered Chelcie’s Food Files, a fun blog documenting Chelcie’s healthy eats and lifestyle as a college student. (Bonus: she goes to University of Delaware, which just makes me miss being a Blue Hen!)
After discovering my love for sweet potato fries and Chelcie’s recipe for Mexican Sweet Potato Bowls, I knew I had a new recipe I needed to try! For Sunday dinner, I whipped up my own “Mmm Mmm Mexican Sweet Potato Bowls” — they’re healthy, filling, and oh-so-delicious!
Mexican Sweet Potato Bowl
- 1/2 of a sweet potato, cut into small cubes and roasted (You can follow this recipe.)
- Shredded chicken
- 1 cup peppers & onions (I used frozen)
- 1/4 cup corn (I used frozen)
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Chopped lettuce (optional)
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray. Add peppers, onions, corn, and chicken. Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, and paprika over top.
- On a large plate, place cooked sweet potato cubes and sprinkle cilantro over top.
- When chicken and vegetables are cooked through, pour over top sweet potatoes. Top with cheese, salsa, lettuce, and enjoy!
How to “level up” this recipe
- Add in some more vegetables, such as zucchini and tomatoes.
- Add in 1/4 cup of drained black beans or lentils.
- If you have some healthy guacamole on hand, spread that on top for some added nutrition.
How to “level down” this recipe
- Feel free to ground beef or turkey rather than the shredded chicken.
- For some added flavor, add sour cream on top!