Happy December, everyone! Even though it’s about 50 degrees here today, it’s officially December which means Christmastime is right around the corner…
On Friday night, I was all ready to decorate our tree (as evidenced by my hot cocoa in hand above) only to realize that we didn’t have any ornament hooks. FAIL.
Luckily, we got some yesterday and were able to decorate our tree! We still have some work to do, but we’re getting there…
Since I’m in the holiday spirit, I made one of my favorite holiday treats this week — Puppy Chow. It’s easy to recreate and could easily become a great gift for friends, family, and co-workers if you portion it into bags and tie a ribbon around it. Great holiday gift on a budget!
Holiday Puppy Chow Treats
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 cups Crispix cereal
- Powdered sugar
1. On the stove, begin to melt your butter, chocolate, peanut butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
2. Meanwhile, pour six cups of Crispix into a large bowl.
3. Once butter/peanut butter/chocolate combination is melted, quickly pour over Crispix and mix well until Crispix are coated.
4. Next, put Crispix in a PAPER (not plastic bag) and begin to pour your powdered sugar overtop. Shake until the powdered sugar coats most of the Crispix. (Note: They absorb the powdered sugar quickly!)
5. Pour into a large bowl and enjoy! 🙂
How to “level up” this recipe:
- This certainly isn’t the healthiest recipe in the world, but it sure is delicious! Simple swaps I always make include using light butter instead of regular and natural peanut butter instead of regular.
- Use whole grain cereal squares instead of Crispix.
- Really want to make it healthy? Taralynn McNitt over at Undressed Skeleton created this recipe for “Kitty Chow” starring whole grain cereal, PB2, sugar-free pudding, almonds, and more!
How to “level down” this recipe:
- To make this more festive, add one cup of red and green M & Ms to the prepared puppy chow!