Happy Wednesday! Time for What I Ate Wednesday…my eats came from last Thursday and include a recipe for a new dish — Quinoa Black Bean Veggie Bowl! (Yes, it’s quite similar to my quinoa black bean burgers I made later last week. Mmmm!)
Breakfast: 1/2 c. oats with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tbsp. flax seed, and scoop of peanut butter
Morning Snack: Pear
Lunch: 1/2 sandwich (turkey, lettuce, and dijon mustard on whole wheat bread) and a big salad with light balsamic vinaigrette dressing
Afternoon snack: Tall Skinny Vanilla Latte from Starbucks and trail mix (pretzels, cashews, and almonds)
Dinner: Quinoa black bean veggie bowl and baby carrots (not pictured)
Evening Snack: Black Cherry Chobani with wheat bran granola
The quinoa black bean veggie bowl has been a new favorite of mine because it’s quick, simple, gluten-free, and packed full of yummy veggies!
Quinoa Black Bean Veggie Bowl
- 1/4 c. quinoa cooked
- 1/4 c. black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. red and green peppers
- 1/4 c. tomatoes (I used low-sodium canned.)
- 1/5 c. corn
- Red onion
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Lime juice and cilantro (optional)
- Spray a large pan with olive oil cooking spray or lightly coat with EVOO. Add all of your chopped veggies and black beans. Cook until tender.
- Add cooked quinoa to veggies in pan and stir.
- Season with lime juice, cilantro, and spices. Enjoy!
How to “level up” this recipe:
- Add some chopped avocado or avocado salsa.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- Swap quinoa for some brown rice instead.
- To add some flavor, top with salsa, low-fat sour cream, and/or reduced-fat Mexican cheese.