Holidays are a time of fun, family, friends…and a lot of food. I love indulging at the holidays (don’t we all?!), but I don’t want to let myself get completely off track. So, what’s a girl to do? I think the real key is to start your morning off right…
- Exercise: I always try to start with some type of exercise to get my heart pumping and my body sweating before a full day of festivities. Yesterday, I was a little crunched for time so I started off with this Cardio Circuit Workout from Peanut Butter Fingers, which I was able to finish in about 25 minutes. This morning, I had the pleasure of going on a very hilly 4-mile run with my brother-in-law and cousin — it was challenging, but fun!
- Breakfast: Start with a hearty, healthy breakfast! One of my favorite new recipes is this banana egg pancake — it’s simple, full of protein, and very healthy!
Banana Egg Pancake
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 Tbsp. flax seed
- Optional — cinnamon, vanilla
- In a small bowl, combine one egg, one egg white, and one mashed banana. Stir together until fairly smooth.
- Add flax seed, and cinnamon and vanilla if desired.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and pour batter into skillet. Begin to cook. (Note: It will take awhile before you can even flip this pancake — about 5-7 minutes!) Be patient!
- Flip pancake and cook for another five minutes or so.
- Once cooked through, top with your desired toppings — I added almond butter, maple agave syrup, and a little bit of flax seed!
How to “level up” this recipe:
- Top with fruit, such as apple slices.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- Remove the flax seed if you’re not a fan!