It’s National Pancake Day! You can head to IHOP for a free short stack of buttermilk pancakes…. or forget the line and whip up a batch of my honey almond flax pancakes. They are gluten-free and Paleo…and extremely delicious!
Honey almond flax pancakes
Adapted from Carrot n Cake’s OMG Pancakes
Makes about 12 small pancakes (3-4 servings)
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c. almond meal/flour
- 3 Tbsp. flax meal
- 1/4 c. almond butter
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp. honey (or maple syrup)
- Preheat a griddle (or large skillet) to about 400 degrees. Spray with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, combine mashed bananas, eggs, and egg white in a large bowl and mix well. (I recommend using a hand or stand mixer…or just a lot of elbow power!)
- Gradually add the rest of the ingredients listed above and mix until well combined.
- Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop batter and pour on to griddle.
- Cook and flip.
- Serve with your favorite toppings! I usually add a little bit of almond butter, unsweetened shredded coconut, a few flax seeds, and maple agave syrup. Delicious!
How to “level up” this recipe:
- To add an extra punch of protein, throw in a scoop of protein powder as well (and use another whole egg rather than an egg white for better consistency).
How to “level down” this recipe:
- No almond meal on hand? You can use oat, spelt, whole wheat, or even all purpose flour…just be aware that the consistency will change a bit.
But enough about pancakes…let’s talk about workouts! Last night after work I met up with my friend Eileen and we did a little over five miles at a local park…
It was freezing (I spent the first half of the run with my North Face, gloves, and ear warmer all on), but it was nice to have a running buddy. I’m hoping she can join me for the 10-miler I have on the schedule for this weekend!
This morning, I got up nice and early and headed to the gym to complete a 30-minute HIIT treadmill workout and a leg circuit (I added a few more leg strengthening moves to the circuit as well). It got my heart pumping and my energy up for the day!
Enjoy your Tuesday, everyone!