Move over, Philly Cheesesteaks…I have a healthy slow cooker version to give you a run for your money!
While meal planning this week, I came across a recipe for chicken cheesesteaks. Since I had a baby shower all afternoon yesterday, I knew I’d need a quick dinner for Sunday night. What’s quicker than the crockpot?
I served my chicken cheesesteak open-faced style over two slices of whole wheat bread (the store was out of wheat rolls, so I had to improvise!). I enjoyed it with some roasted Brussels sprouts on the side.
It only took about five minutes to put the chicken together, so this would be an easy meal to prepare even before you go to work.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteaks
Adapted from Something brought you here
Makes approximately 5 sandwiches
- 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken
- 1/3 c. Worchestshire sauce
- 1/3 c. white wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot. Place your lid on top and cook on low for about 5-6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- After it’s cooked, use a knife and fork to shred your chicken (it should be tender enough to fall right apart). Enjoy!
I threw some hoagie rolls in the oven for about three minutes, removed them and topped them with my cheesesteak chicken, sauteed peppers and onions, and mozzarella cheese. I put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to melt the cheese.
How to “level up” this recipe:
- Use a whole wheat roll or go bread-less by serving your chicken on a bed of peppers, mushrooms, and onions sauteed in some olive oil.
How to “level down” this recipe:
- Not a fan of chicken? You can use beef instead for a more traditional flavor!