As of yesterday morning at 8:30 a.m., I am one mile closer to my marathon!
I won’t lie — I was stressing about when and how I was going to fit in a long run this week. I took today off work and am going to Pittsburgh to see my sister (!!!!) in just a few hours and didn’t want to try and fit in seventeen miles while also hanging out with her. I went through a lot of options — run Thursday afternoon before a 6 p.m. meeting (that wasn’t happening — not enough time), run Friday morning and push back my arrival to Pittsburgh (not ideal), run a few miles Thursday morning and a few more that afternoon (does that even count?) — you get the idea.
Finally, I settled on getting up super early yesterday morning to get it in before work. Hello, 5:15 a.m.
I woke up, got dressed, ate a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and flaxseed, started drinking some water, and left around 5:45. Unfortunately, since it was so dark, I had to do the run on the treadmill (second week in a row!). I was on a treadmill by 5:55 and I was off!
I don’t really have a play-by-play for it…it was pretty similar to last week. I did the first seven miles in 58:13, took a quick break, and immediately started my second round of seven miles, finishing in 58:06. I really started getting hungry during the 10-14 mile range, so after mile 14, I hopped off the treadmill, refilled my water, and took a gel. For the first time, I actually really enjoyed the gel and noticed a difference!
Then, it was back on the treadmill for the last three miles, which I finished in 24:30. Total time –> 2:20:49, 8:26/mile!
One good thing about the ‘mill is that I really try to push my pace, but I do want to make sure I can start doing the rest of my long runs (only three left — 18, 20, and 22!) outside (and on some hills).
After a quick shower, I headed to work where I subsequently couldn’t walk all day, haha. I was so sore! That’s what happens when you rush from a long run right to work, I suppose…
I forced myself to eat all day (I was literally not hungry at all) and definitely a little sleepy. After work, I did something I never do — I took a 40 minute nap! It was glorious. I woke up feeling completely refreshed and whipped up this yummy dinner before heading to my meeting…
Balsamic Turkey Grilled Sandwich
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 slices of deli turkey (I used low-sodium.)
- Red Onion, thinly sliced
- About 10 baby spinach leaves
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Mix together your olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and brush one side of each slice of bread with the mixture.
- Spray a pan with cooking spray, and place one slice of bread (with olive oil mixture facing down) on the pan.
- Next, place your turkey, red onion, spinach, and cheese on top. Top with your other slice of bread (olive oil mixture facing up).
- Cook your sandwich on medium heat, flipping once, until cheese is melted.
This was simple, but so good! I can only imagine it would be better in a panini maker (or the George Foreman, which I was too lazy to get out). The balsamic mixture makes the sandwich slightly tangy, and I loved the taste.
How to level up this recipe:
- Add more veggies! If you are vegetarian, you could easy swap out the turkey for a few slices of tomato.
How to level down this recipe:
- Use white bread instead of wheat.
Time for Pittsburgh!! I packed all my road trip snacks (it’s about a five hour drive), and am looking forward to seeing this girl so soon!