I hate to admit this, but I went through a phase in high school where I ate PB & J for lunch. Every. Single. Day.
And, no, I’m not talking about having natural peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam on a whole wheat bread.
I’m talking processed white bread, peanut butter that was far from natural, and grape jelly with lots of added sugar. I may or may not have enjoyed this with a Choco Taco on the side. (P.S. I miraculously never gained weight during this sugar-laden time of my life. Thank goodness!)
But, anyways, I still love the taste of PB & J. What I don’t love is refined sugars, processed ingredients, and empty starches. That’s why I’ve started to create my own “grown-up” concocotions of PB & J…first, my healthy PB & (Strawberry) J bowl and now this…
It’s Healthy PB & J Oatmeal! Here’s what’s in the mix (one serving)…
- 1/4 c. steel cut oats, cooked (Or use 1/2 c. regular oats)
- Splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. natural strawberry jam
- Additions: hemp seeds + flax seeds
- In a bowl, combine oats and milk. Microwave for 1:10.
- Top with strawberries, jam, peanut butter, and any extra additions. Enjoy!
Mmmm, so yummy!
Here’s what the rest of my day looked like…(Trust me, they’re not as pretty. The rest of my eats were all on-the-go!)
11:45 a.m. –> apple
Unpictured: 2 Hershey Kisses while at a meeting + my nighttime snack (1 banana, warmed in the microwave, with 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter, 2 tbsp. oat bran, and a splash of milk)